If you've recently been furloughed or are out of work and wondering how recent events will affect your livelihood, you might be looking to carve the path to a brighter future. We've been thinking about that too. Our diverse non-credit programming offer a variety of topics to allow you to explore potential career paths, side hustles or moonlighting projects - without having to revive a full-scale academic pursuit. In this blog, we're sharing a sample of some classes that may jumpstart ideas for those seeking to improve their current financial situation.
FINDING A SIDE HUSTLE
One way to earn extra income is to develop a side hustle. A side hustle is a way to earn income outside of the 9-5 workday. Previous generations might have called this "moonlighting" but the new terminology has gained strength from the FIRE (Financial Independence, Retire Early) movement. One sweet spot is when you can earn income through additional skills that are already activities you enjoy - which is where our classes may come in handy. These proactive actions give you the opportunity to supplement your income or earn income from an entirely new area of interest.
CLASSES TO HELP YOU CUT COSTS
Another tactic is to learn ways to cut costs, now and in the future:
- Personal Finance - on any given term PCC non-credit programs offer approximately ten personal finance classes on subjects ranging from home buying to maximizing social security income. You can take courses in money management, investing in the stock market, and investing in real estate. Just search “personal finance” on the PCC schedule.
- Managing Your Established Business - For PCC students who already have a side hustle or small business, the “Business Design Series” program offered by the PCC Small Business Development Center is ideal for taking your business from the germ of an idea to the next level. For those with more experience, explore the Business Builders program.
CLASSES TO BOOST YOUR INCOME
To give your monthly income a little boost you can learn skills like the following:
- Drone Pilot - We currently offer two courses for unoccupied aircraft systems. Upon completion, you'll know the relevant regulations, airspace classification and operation requirements, weather, loading and performance, and operations. Through exploring flight applications, you'll also learn how they relate to professional UAS pilots. Just go to the PCC Schedule page and search for “drone.” Then consider exploring programs offered by the PCC Small Business Development Center to turn this hobby into a side hustle!
- Real Estate - Discuss and learn to decipher the housing market with Portland Community College instructors Gary Calvert, Dave Amato, and Jerry Lasselle. Choose between venturing into the property management side of real estate, becoming your own broker, or just learning smarter real estate investment techniques. PCC is approved by the state to provide real estate pre-license education and courses.
- Solopreneur - If you're dreaming of running your own business, being your own boss, and pursuing a career you're passionate about then our combined Solo/Encore Business Builders is the course for you, now merged with the Business Builders program to improve the diversity of its cohort. You'll learn how to define your services and products, what your target market is, and a variety of business savvy information that will help you navigate through hurdles and challenges you may face.
We're determined to provide students opportunities to learning combined with top value for our affordable courses. Expand your knowledge and discover how these classes can put you on the road toward financial strength or recovery. Through customized courses found in our non-credit programming and built for non-traditional students, we bring you the opportunity to make your own way. Check out the classes we offer and contact us should you have any questions or need help enrolling.