- Do you want to learn how to apply effective natural medicine in the lives of clients or those close to you?
- Are you interested in learning about herbalism from seasoned herbalism experts?
The demand for trained herbalists is growing. Two thirds of Americans say that in the next year they expect to be taking herbs daily, and that this will be a significant part of their health care program.
Sign up to our newsletter to receive important program-related updates (the form is located at the bottom of the page for mobile users, to the right for desktop users).
The Institute for Health Professionals’ Herbalism Professional Series provides an affordable way to learn about herbalism from experienced leaders in the field.
What to Expect
This online, 3-module series teaches you fundamentals for using herbal techniques as restorative health care. All modules are taught via a live-streaming, online classroom, enabling students to meet together and ask questions of the instructor in real time. The modules can be taken in any order.
Upon completion of all three modules, you will receive a Certificate in Herbalism from PCC. You will then be eligible for Modules 4, 5, and 6 offered only through IIEI, KP Khalsa’s herbalist and nutrition school. For course information and registration steps, please contact IIEI at (541) 242-3314.
Module 1: Herbal HealingThe Herbal Healing Module will teach you about:
- Materia Medica, the study of specific herb properties
- Herbal energetics
- Herbal preparations and plant chemistry
- Chinese and Ayurvedic herbalism
- Modern Phytotherapy
- Digestive and Cardiovascular systems
- Integrative Healing: Aromatherapy and Homeopathy
Module 2: Herbs and HealthThe Herbs and Health Module will include:
- Study of specific herb properties
- Ayurvedic and Chinese herbalism
- Respiratory, Urinary and Nervous systems
- Preparations and plant chemistry
- Integrated Healing: Vitamins and Minerals.
Module 3: Holistic HerbalismThe Holistic Herbalism Module focuses on:
- Study of specific herbal properties
- Western herbal energetics
- Preparations and plant chemistry
- Skin and topical therapies
- Chinese and Ayurvedic herbalism
- Reproductive, Musculoskeletal, Immune and Endocrine systems
- Herbalism for Young and Elderly
- Integrative Healing: Diet, Cleansing, Herbal Hydrotherapy
- Students meet in an online, interactive environment on Wednesdays.
- Live-streamed lectures are offered at 2:00-4:15 pm (Pacific) and from 5:45-8:00 pm (Pacific). Note: Lectures cover identical material, and students can choose to attend either lecture.
- From 4:15-4:30 pm and 8:00-9:00 pm PST, you will have the opportunity to participate in “office hours”. During this time, you can speak with the instructor and pose individual questions or scenarios of your interest. Office hours are not required, but provide a direct line to your instructor in order to assure understanding and receive any necessary clarification.
- Required reading can be found here.
Is the Herbalism Professional Series for me?
This program is for you if you want to:
- Enhance your herbalism skills
- Become a credentialed professional herbalist
- Enter the rapidly expanding complementary medicine field
- Have a career in natural health or the organic food industry
Possible career opportunities to consider after the training:
- Private practice, consultations
- Consultant, Freelance, Industry
- Sales Representative
- Import & Export
- Research & Development
Time: Each module lasts 1 term, or 3 months. You can complete all 3 terms within a year.
- $999 per module
- Additional costs include:
- Book fees, which vary for each term
- Headset with a microphone
Meet your Lead Instructor
Karta Purkh Singh Khalsa, Yogaraj (Ayurveda), AD, DN-C, RH, has over 49 years of experience in alternative health. Khalsa is President Emeritus and Global Ambassador of the American Herbalists Guild, and director emeritus of the National Ayurvedic Medicine Association. He has presented at over 200 national conferences, been featured in over 20 DVD continuing education courses and has authored or edited over 30 books. Khalsa is a professor at Massachusetts College of Pharmacy, faculty instructor in the Botanical Medicine and Ayurvedic Sciences Departments of the National College of Natural Medicine and Bastyr University, where he directs the Ayurveda certificate program. He is the first person to be board certified in Herbalism and Ayurveda.
He is a state certified dietitian-nutritionist (New York), nationally registered herbalist, and holds a doctorate in Ayurveda. Khalsa is the author of over 3,000 published health articles. He was the principal medical formulator for Yogi Tea, an Ayurvedic medicinal tea company; Peace natural products, where he created an extensive line of Ayurvedic body care products; and the principal developer of the Soothing Touch Ayurvedic massage product line.
At Portland Community College, Khalsa is the curriculum creator and principal instructor of the Professional Herbalism program. He lives in the Northwest with his family.
How to Enroll
To enroll in Herbalism program, follow these steps:
- View the current schedule of classes for Herbalism and write down your CRN.
- Visit Non-Credit Registration and create a new account. Returning PCC Students can skip this step.
- Register for your course online using MyPCC.
Complete the form on the right of this page to receive more information about how to enroll.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can enroll?
You must be a high school graduate, and some college experience is recommended. Our students represent a broad demographic: twenty-somethings to retirees, health professionals, those looking to make a career change, individuals without college education, individuals with Master’s degrees, those needing continuing education hours only, etc.
Do I need computer skills to take this program?
Students should have basic to intermediate computer savvy. High-speed internet access (DSL, cable modem, or satellite) is required in order to meet online learning technical requirements.
Do I need to complete work outside of lecture times?
Students should expect to invest a minimum of 2-3 hours of study time for every hour of lecture.
Does this program qualify me to become certified through the American Herbalists Guild?
The PCC Herbalism Program provides the first half of your training towards the American Herbalists Guild recognition. Once you have completed the "Year 1" programs (consisting of all 3 modules/ which can be completed in any order), you can complete the remaining 3 modules with our instructor outside of PCC. You will then have obtained substantial academic knowledge toward applying for professional membership in the American Herbalists Guild, the only professional association representing herbalists in the United States.
Is this program transferable or a credit program?
The Herbalist Program curriculum is a continuing education unit (CEU) program. It is a noncredit, does not offer a degree, and is not transferable to another school. It does, however, provide high quality knowledge and skills that can be applied towards many professions and health careers.
Can I qualify for financial aid? Do you offer payment plans?
This program is not qualified under Federal Financial Aid. PCC offers payment options for students who need it. You can contact the business office for information regarding payment arrangements once you’re registered for the course. The business office can be reached at: 971-722-8888 option #3.
Do I have to complete the modules in any specific order?
No, each modules is independent of the others and can be taken in any order. What is "live-streamed, online"? The live-streamed classes for Modules 1, 2, and 3 are delivered through Zoom. This allows students to participate in real-time virtual lectures every Wednesday. While students are encouraged to attend all live lectures, recordings of each session are available for students who cannot attend the lectures during the scheduled time.
Have a more specific question?
For more information, please email Zrinka Glavas at firstname.lastname@example.org.